Lead Research Engineer
An excellent opportunity has arisen for the position of Lead Research Engineer within the Research arm of the R&D department, leading a small team of skilled research engineers tasked with new product conceptualisation in line with phase 0 and 1 of APQP (Advanced Product Quality Planning), market and competitor analysis as well as staying abreast of impending legislation.
The purpose of this role is to instigate, conceptualise and define new developments prior to addition to the Product Development road map in an effort the shorten the development phase of a project. Working closely with the Research and Laboratory Manager, and using the R&D facilities, this role will aim to reduce the areas of uncertainty associated with the new technical developments required of a business focused on leading edge technologies. Collaborative work with academic institutes such as The University of Leeds will also be required.
The successful candidate must be able to operate innovatively and collaboratively in an environment where the path to an end goal is not well defined (hence Research). They must be conscious of time constraints and costs and maintain alignment with the Product Development Road Map.
In line with APQP phase 0 and 1, close collaboration with both Product Development and the commercial team (Sales and Marketing) will be required to ensure that the outcome of each investigation is successful and that meaningful recommendations can be made to the Development team, in an effort to reduce the inherent uncertainty associated with forthcoming development projects. The role will also require the use of CFD software where necessary to visualise flow, pressure and temperature in order to optimise designs and help minimise development time.
The candidate must:
- Be able to apply logical and rational thought to complex problems
- Be highly innovative
- Be capable of conceptual thought
- Be able to work under their own initiative
- Be able to learn quickly and think laterally
- Be able to communicate effectively at all levels
- Be able to work in a team and manage projects to completion
- Be able to carry out engineering calculations
- Be capable of working to deadlines & cost requirements
- Possess excellent theoretical and practical understanding of thermodynamics
- Possess excellent theoretical and practical understanding of fluid mechanics
- Be capable of selecting critical components to fulfil design objectives
- Be able to create strong collaborative relationships with external institutions and suppliers (i.e. Leeds University, Danfoss…etc.)
Ideally have experience of the following software:
- Star CCM+ / 6 Sigma CFD Software (Guidance will be given)
- Solid Edge ST4 (Guidance will be given)
- Microsoft Word
- Excel & Visual Basic
- LabView (Guidance will be given)
Trained to at least degree level in relevant engineering discipline in or relevant science based subject.
Degree must be recognised by either the science or engineering council.
Submitting an application:
Applications with a CV and cover letter should be sent to HR no later than Friday, 2 February 2018.
Airedale International Air Conditioning Ltd
Or e-mail email@example.com