Module 1: Basic Refrigeration & Air Conditioning (February 2016)
Those new to the industry with little or no previous knowledge of air conditioning & refrigeration (AC-R) systems
2 days - 09.00-15.30
1-2 February 2016
The course takes place at our Leeds Road facility, LS19 6JY.
- Air conditioning equipment and human comfort
- Basics of heat transfer relating to AC-R
- Temperature and humidity – measurement and perception
- Basic introduction to heat gains and losses in buildings
- Comfort and precision air conditioning systems, their uses and the various types
- Properties of air and water vapour
- Chilled water in air conditioning
- Introduction to the various types of ventilation systems
- AC-R fundamentals including the vapour compression cycle, how it works and the critical components
- Other key components
- Modern refrigerants
- Analysis of an AC-R circuit using gauges and thermometers
- Pressure enthalpy charts, how to plot the refrigeration cycle and what it means
- Introduction to psychrometrics and its use in determining the properties and condition of the air
This two-day course aims to provide a solid introduction to the principles of air conditioning and refrigeration. The course will provide a basic understanding of the types of air conditioning systems, applications and operating principles including both refrigeration and chilled water systems as well as basic ventilation needs and equipment. A key element of this course is to provide a thorough understanding of the fundamentals of the vapour compression refrigeration system, how it works, the key components and the characteristics of refrigerants. The tuition will also introduce the student to the pressure/enthalpy chart and psychrometrics.
Whilst an understanding of basic engineering principles would be an advantage, no previous knowledge of AC-R is required.
On completion students are awarded a certificate of achievement from Airedale.
Students will spend time in both the classroom and the workshops taking measurements on live systems to enhance understanding.
Price: £350 +VAT
Including tuition, materials, lunch and refreshments
Previous training participants
Organisations such as BT, Ministry of Defence and Virgin have sent individuals on our training courses. Here’s what our delegates have to say:
"I have learned a very clear understanding of the basic principles of Air Conditioning and Refrigeration. Great facilities and a smoothly delivered course."
Building Services Engineer, TD Waterhouse